Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as the point of contact for the State Ethics Commission and your agency/commission.
- Promptly notify the SEI Unit at the State Ethics Commission of any new covered employees/appointees. This Webform can be used for those updates. Information entered on the form will go directly to the SEI email address. Updates lists involving multiple employees/appointees may also be sent to SEI@ethics.nc.gov.
- Provide the new appointee’s name, appointing authority, start date, and end date.
- Notify the SEI Unit when employees/appointees retire, resign, or otherwise leave their position so we can update our database of filers.
- Periodically review the State Ethics Commission’s website for new information including: education opportunities, newsletters, and advisory opinions.
- Maintain active communication with the State Ethics Commission on any Ethics Act-related issues.
Statements of Economic Interest (SEIs)
- Ensure newly appointed individuals file their SEI prior to taking their position/being sworn.
- Remind all filers of their annual obligation to file their SEIs by April 15th.
- Encourage filers to file electronically through the State Ethics Commission’s website.
- Electronic filing is more efficient, provides the filer with immediate confirmation of filing, and ensures that filers complete every question. It also provides a starting point for the next filing year.
- Those filing manually must answer every question and keep a copy for their records.
- Compliance Report to track completion of SEI requirements.
- Liaisons must attend ethics education programs
- Education programs are available online or live.
- Compliance Report to track completion of education requirements.
Advice & Advisory Opinions
Ethics liaisons may also request informal advice from Commission staff or a formal advisory opinion from the Commission on behalf of or concerning individuals in their agencies who are covered by the State Government Ethics Act.
Other Helpful Links
The following links may be helpful to you in your role as an ethics liaison:
Search Filed SEIs
Statements of Economic Interest